Welcome to the Writing Center!
If you are interested in tutoring, we want to meet you. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please read the position requirements below and contact Dr. Daniel Henke with any questions. Also, consider scheduling an appointment to experience what we do. Every staff member at the Writing Center is here to help you progress as a tutor, writer, and individual.
Our Training Program
The peer-led training program involves five stages with objectives that need to be met on a weekly basis. You will be assessed by both staff and training assistants weekly as well, so you will always know where you stand in the process. The training occurs over a free summer asynchronous practicum, which awards .25 credit. The process is relatively demanding but—from what our tutors will tell you—educational and rewarding as well.
- An overall grade point average of 3.5 or better
- A clear conduct record
- Outstanding performance in more than one expository writing course in two different departments at Lake Forest College
- A recommendation from two faculty members on campus
- The ability to clearly and succinctly convey information in interpersonal communication
- Patience, sensitivity, diplomacy, and self-control
- Reliability, perseverance, adaptability
- A positive attitude and the willingness to offer helpful support to other students and fellow tutors
- Understanding and commitment to the Writing Center’s philosophy and training requirements
Ready to Apply?
- Tutor Application
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Training Overview
- Full Training Manual
- Sample Training Calendar
Training Program Materials
All of the materials for our training program have been developed by Center tutors and staff based on our experiences with our client base and our knowledge of what tutors need to know to tutor with confidence and skill.
Daniel Henke, PhD
Director of Writing Programs and Associate Director of the Writing Center
Hotchkiss 003 (lower level of Hotchkiss)