Frequently Asked Questions for Current Students

How do I reserve a room for the upcoming academic year?
The Office of Residence Life will notify students when the housing contract is open and provide a due date. Please note that returning students who did not complete an application and/or select a room by the deadline, will be assigned a room by the Office of Residence Life using any preferences indicated by students in the housing contract.

What date can I return in the Fall?
Visit our Housing Occupancy page.

What date can I return in the Spring?
Visit our Housing Occupancy page.

When do I need to be moved out of the residence halls at the end of Spring semester?
All non-graduating students must vacate the residence halls within 24 hours after their last final examination or by Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 12:00 noon, whichever is earlier. Residents must set-up a time to check-out with a Residence Life staff member to complete the Room Condition Report (RCR) and return room keys. Graduating seniors must vacate the residence halls by Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 12:00 noon.

I’m moving out before the end of the semester; how do I check-out?

Students who cancel their housing and need to move out before the end of the semester must submit a Housing Cancellation Application at the Office of Residence Life. Once this is completed, the student receive an email from the RD of their building. The student will meet the RD at a mutually agreed upon time to checkout of the room. Failure to properly check out (set up appointment, sign Check-Out Inspection Form, return key, etc.) may result in an improper check out fine.

I am expecting mail.  Where do I pick it up?
Mail Services is located in the Mohr Student Center. Each student is assigned a box and can retrieve small items through their box at any time.  Packages and large items may be picked up at the Mail Services counter from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

First Name Middle Initial Last Name
LFC # or mail stop
555 N. Sheridan Rd.
Lake Forest, IL  60045-2338

Is cable TV available in the residence halls?
There is cable TV available in the sports center and the student center. Many students prefer to watch TV in the residence halls through their own digital service subscription, such as Netflix or Hulu, on their laptops or personal televisions.

Where do I go if I am locked out of my room?
Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. you may go to Facilities Management to request a temporary key. Between the hours of 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. you may call Public Safety at (847) 735-5555 (or if on campus, extension 5555) to key you into your room. Between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please see the Residence Life staff member on duty. Be prepared to show identification. There is a $5 charge for a lock out.

What do I do if I lose my key?
Students should contact Residence Life as soon as they realize their key is lost.  Residence Life will do a work order to have the lock changed. Students will be informed when the new key is available for pick up.  A fee in an amount defined in the Student Handbook will be charged to the student’s account through the Business Office.

Something is broken in my room.  How do I submit a work order?
If there is a maintenance related problem with your room that should be addressed, please create a work order through your housing portal.  Work Requests are handled through Residence Life and Facilities Management.  If there are concerns about an incomplete work order, please contact the Office of Residence Life.

I would like to apply for Summer Housing. How do I do that?
Summer housing applications are typically available after Spring Break. Students who are Richter Scholars, taking classes during the summer, are doing research on campus or who are working on campus have priority for summer housing.  If there is space, we can also accommodate other students who have a need to stay in the area. Notification of summer housing applications will be sent to students via email. Summer housing and meal plan prices will be listed in the summer housing applcation. See Break Housing for more information.

How are charges/fines for residence hall communities determined?
Everyone in a residence hall community is collectively responsible to ensure that residents live in a safe, secure, and damage-free environment that is conducive to everyone’s goal of academic success. Vandalism is not tolerated, and the Office of Residence Life understands that a collective community of residents must work together to prevent fellow residents and their guests from causing vandalism. Likewise, in the event that vandalism occurs, it is the residence hall community’s collective responsibility to ensure that those who are responsible for the damage are held accountable. Steps are taken when an individual or group causes damage in a common area/ public area.

When vandalism or damage occurs in a specific residence hall, Charge Notices are emailed to the residents, notifying all residents of the incident. If no individual(s) take(s) responsibility for the damage/vandalism, the cost for cleaning/repair will be billed to the collective community. If a specific student or group of students is found responsible, a Notice of Alleged Violation will be issued and the student(s) will be referred to the student conduct process.