Frequently Asked Questions for Current Students

How do I reserve a room for the upcoming academic year?
You may contact the Office of Residence Life and complete a housing application. Please note that returning students who did not select a room by the deadline will be placed after incoming students.

What date can I return in the Fall?
Visit our Housing Occupancy page.

What date can I return in the Spring?
Visit our Housing Occupancy page.

When do I need to be moved out of the residence halls at the end of Spring semester?
All non-graduating students must vacate the residence halls within 24 hours after their last final examination or by Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 12:00 noon, whichever is earlier. Residents must set-up a time to check-out with a Residence Life staff member to complete the Room Condition Report (RCR) and return room keys. Graduating seniors must vacate the residence halls by Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:00 noon.

I’m moving out now; how do I check-out?

Students who cancel their housing and need to move out before the end of the semester must submit a Housing Cancellation Application at the Office of Residence Life. Once this is completed, the student must set-up a time to check-out with a Residence Life staff member. You may contact your RA  to set-up a time or you may contact the RA on duty. A duty schedule is posted in the lobby of each building.  Failure to properly check-out (set-up appointment, sign Check-Out Inspection Form, return key, etc.) will result in improper check-out fines.

I’m expecting mail.  Where do I pick it up?
Mail Services is located in the Mohr Student Center. Each student is assigned a box and can retrieve small items through their box at any time.  Packages and large items may be picked up at the Mail Services counter between the hours of 10:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday.

First Name Middle Initial Last Name
LFC # or mail stop
555 N. Sheridan Rd.
Lake Forest, IL  60045-2338

Is cable TV available in the residence halls?
There is cable TV available in the sports center and the student center. Many students prefer to watch TV in the residence halls through their own digital service subscription, such as Netflix or Hulu, on their laptops or personal televisions.

How do I get around if I don’t have a car on campus?
The Forester Shuttle runs various routes throughout the week.  Please click here for the shuttle’s schedule.

Where do I go if I am locked out of my room?

Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. you may go to Facilities Management to request a temporary key. Between the hours of 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. you may call Public Safety at (847) 735-5555 (or if on campus, extension 5555) to key you into your room. Between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please see the Residence Life staff member on duty. Be prepared to show identification. For each lock-out, a student is charged $5.00.

What do I do if I lose my key?
Students should contact Residence Life as soon as they realize their key is lost.  Residence Life will order a new key from Facilities Management. Students will be informed when the new key is available for pick-up.  There is a $50.00 charge for a key replacement that will charged to the student’s account at the Business Office.

Something is broken in my room.  How do I submit a work order?
If there is a maintenance related problem with your room that should be addressed, your Resident Assistant can help.  Work Requests are handled through Residence Life and Facilities Management.  If there are concerns about an incomplete Work Orders please contact your Residence Director.

I would like to apply for Summer Housing. How do I do that?
Summer Housing Applications are typically available after Spring Break. Students who are Richter Scholars, taking classes during Session I or Session II, and who are working on-campus have priority for Summer Housing.  If there is space, we can also accommodate students who have employment in the area.  Summer Housing Applications will be due at the end of April — look for announcements. Summer housing prices only reflect housing; students who work 25 or more hours per week get a board plan, or food plans are available through the Business Office.

How are charges/fines for residence hall communities determined?
Everyone in a residence hall community is collectively responsible to ensure that residents live in a safe, secure, and damage-free environment that is conducive to everyone’s goal of academic success. Vandalism is not tolerated, and the Office of Residence Life understands that a collective community of residents must work together to prevent fellow residents and their guests from causing vandalism. Likewise, in the event that vandalism occurs, it is the residence hall community’s collective responsibility to ensure that those who are responsible for the damage are held accountable. Steps are taken when an individual or group causes damage in a common area/ public area.

When vandalism or damage occurs in a specific residence hall, Charge Notices are emailed to the residents, notifying all residents of the incident. If no individual(s) take(s) responsibility for the damage/vandalism, the cost for cleaning/repair will be billed to the collective community. If a specific student or group of students is found responsible, a Notice of Alleged Violation will be issued and the student(s) will be referred to the student conduct process.

Did you know?

  • Over three billion people around the world live on $2 or less a day. Each spring students have the opportunity to participate in the Forgotten Majority Business Conference on campus.