Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Can I move in early?
Unfortunately, new students may not move in early. If you plan to be in the Chicago area prior to move-in day, you should make arrangements at a local hotel so that you have a place to stay until you are able to check in at Lake Forest College. 

What if I have health or physical challenges that would be affected by my living situation? What are Special Needs Accommodations?
The Office of Residence Life recognizes that some students have disabilities or special needs that may require special attention when determining residential living options. If you require special accommodations, please indicate this information on your New Student Housing Application. Students who need such accommodations must also contact Disability Services to discuss their circumstances and provide supporting documentation from their current physician, psychiatrist, etc. The Office of Residence Life will consult with Disability Services, and the Office of Student Affairs, and make the recommended accommodations. If approved, the student will be notified and assigned accordingly. Because space is limited, single-occupancy room assignments are not guaranteed and are based on demonstrated needs. Please review the guidelines from Disability Services for further details. New students who are not assigned to special accommodations and wish to be considered for a different room should contact the Office of Residence Life.

How do I register a guest?

In order to host a guest in your room, your guest needs to first register themselves with the College. They can do so by filling in their information, including their vehicle information, on this form. Once registered, you will be able to search them in the Housing Portal and create a virtual Residence Life Guest Pass for them. All guests must be registered and have an active virtual Residence Life Guest Pass. Please note that guests may be registered up to 72 hours per month in total and must abide by the same College and residence hall policies as residents.

What should I bring with me to Lake Forest College?
 Click here for a detailed list of suggested things to bring.

What can’t I bring with me to Lake Forest College?
Click here for a list of what NOT to bring.

Is cable TV available in the residence halls?
Cable TV is available in the sports center and the student center.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
Fish (defined as animals with fins and gills, living underwater 24 hours a day) are the only pets permitted in the residence halls. The maximum tank size is 10 gallons. Dogs and other pets are not permitted inside campus buildings unless authorized by Public Safety as service animals for students with disabilities or approved by Disability Services as an emotional support animal. 

Are microwaves allowed in students’ rooms?
Individual microwave units are not permitted in student rooms. Microwaves attached to the Fridge-Micro Units are permitted. Information on how to rent a Fridge-Micro Unit can be found here.

Can I loft my bed?
Yes, residents may loft their beds. The only lofts permitted in the residence halls are those acquired through

What type of surge protectors should I bring?
Surge protector power strips should be equipped with a 15-amp resettable circuit breaker and have a cord that is no longer than six feet in length. Only one surge protector is allowed per outlet in the room. All multiple-outlet devices and other surge protectors that do not meet these requirements are prohibited.

What size are the rooms?
Room size varies in each residence hall. We recommend waiting to buy carpeting or additional furniture for your room until you arrive on campus. Floor plans are available here.

What size are the beds?
Each student is provided with an extra-long twin mattress and bed frame. Special package deals for linen purchases can be found here. Furniture must not be removed from the room.

What is provided in each room?
The College provides a bed with an extra-long mattress, mini blinds, a chest of drawers, a desk and chair, a mirror, a wastebasket, a recycle bin, and a wardrobe or closet space. Furniture must not be removed from the room.

Am I allowed to remove the College’s furniture from my room?
All furniture must remain in the student rooms. A Room Condition Report (RCR) will be done at the time that students check-in and check-out of the room.

Is my personal property insured anywhere on campus (your room or storage)?
Lake Forest College does not insure, and is not responsible for, the loss or damage of students' personal property, from any cause.  Students are encouraged to explore insurance coverage with their family insurance agent or with National Student Services, a company that specializes in insuring the personal property of students living in residence halls, off-campus houses, and off-campus programs.

What about housekeeping services?
Custodial staff cleans the community bathrooms daily, Monday through Friday. Residents are responsible for the upkeep and cleaning of their own rooms and private bathrooms. Students are also responsible for taking their own trash to the dumpsters and recycling bins located outside the residence halls.

What are “quiet hours” and “courtesy hours”?
Quiet hours are designated times in the residence halls when noise must be confined to student rooms. Quiet Hours are10:00 p.m.-8:00 a.m. Sunday through Friday; 2:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. Friday through Sunday. These hours promote an environment that is conducive for students to study and sleep.

Courtesy hours are always in effect in every residence hall. Courtesy hours for all residence halls are in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This requires that all members of the Lake Forest community be cooperative and respectful of each other to create a quiet and courteous environment.

Where do I go if I am locked out of my room?
Please call Public Safety to be let into your room. Be prepared to show identification. For each lock-out, a student is charged $5.00.

What do I do if I lose my key?
Students should contact Residence Life as soon as they realize their key is lost.  Residence Life will create a work order to have the lock changed. Students will be informed when a new key is available for pick-up. There is a $50.00 charge for lock changes that will be charged to the student’s account at the Business Office.

Where do I go if I have lost my Lake Forest College student identification card? 
You can get a new student ID card from the Department of Public Safety, which is located on South Campus. 

How do I do laundry?
Laundry rooms are located on the lower levels or ground floor of each building. You can check the availability of machines from your computer by using LaundryView. Laundry machines accept quarters, debit/credit cards, or you may download the CSC app and add funds to it. Instruxtions are in the laundry rooms. Click here for information.

I don’t like my room assignment. How can I get it changed?
Lake Forest College has experienced unprecedented growth in enrollment. Our residence halls are at full capacity, so room changes for new students are not an option before the start of the semester. However, Room Change Requests may be offered two weeks after the first day of classes, if space permits changes. Requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Requests are no longer accepted after the fourth week of the semester.