User Services Specialist
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The User Services Specialist is responsible for providing students, faculty, and staff with quality and timely technical support of office applications, PCs, audio/video equipment, electronic communications, and other college technology. S/he will respond to information technology issues on campus and provide technical support to faculty and staff at all levels. This position will also assist with the selection, allocation, and distribution of new equipment to faculty and staff in accordance with ITS policy.
The specialist will work with both inexperienced and computer-savvy end users and must be able to reduce technical information to simple language. The position requires a firm commitment to providing exceptional customer service, the ability to effectively prioritize, and strong analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Desktop/User Support (90%)
- Respond to Service Desk requests for assistance, prioritize and assign or complete requests in a timely manner and within expected timeframe.
- Provide first-level support for physical and virtual desktops, classroom AV equipment, enterprise applications, and IT infrastructure, including email, phones, and network.
- Coordinate a tiered level support structure, working closely with other ITS staff and following end user requests through to their resolution.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues, repair Mac and PC systems for users, including installation and configuration of the operating system, related components, and necessary applications.
- Organize in-warranty repairs with external vendors.
- Work with faculty, staff, and/or external vendors to specify and procure appropriate-level hardware (computers, printers, etc.) to meet college and user needs.
- Assist in maintaining inventory for all computer-related hardware; software assets and licenses; and technical equipment/supplies.
Services Desk Operations (10%)
- Contribute to a comprehensive knowledge base for use by ITS staff when troubleshooting.
- Maintain appropriate workflow with the ticketing system (assign, maintain, update, and close tickets according to ITS policy) and assist with reporting on Service Desk metrics.
- Participate in user/desktop support projects including, computer inventory, annual desktop refresh program, etc.
- Provide mentorship and direction to student workers.
- Effectively carry out other duties, as assigned.
Supervision is received from the Assistant Director of User Experience.
Up to 10 student employees
- A two-year degree in information technology or related field
- Expert knowledge of Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
- Expertise with android and iOS devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills with IT hardware including, but not limited to: Apple and Windows-based desktops, laptops, tablets, printers, scanners, smartphones, etc.
- Experience providing user support for cloud-based services, including Microsoft 365 and Google Apps.
- Excellent communication, time management, and customer service skills.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated experience providing desktop and user support.
- Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certification.
- CompTIA A+ certification in PC system repairs including desktop, laptop, and mobile devices.
- Experience with imaging technologies, such as Windows Deployment Services.
- Experience supporting classroom AV equipment and other learning space technologies.
- Understanding of, or experience with, voicemail systems, and wireless networks.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Melissa Norris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “User Services Specialist” in the subject line. No calls please.
A highly selective liberal arts college located on Chicago’s North Shore, Lake Forest College enrolls approximately 1,600 students from over 40 states and 70 countries. Lake Forest College is one of the most diverse small colleges in the Midwest, with nearly 40% of our student body comprised of domestic minority and international students. Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. For more information about Lake Forest College, visit www.lakeforest.edu.